Friday 11 & Saturday 12 September, Luna Park Conference Centre, Sydney
We’re excited to announce a discount price for ACTWC members to attend the wonderful ASA National Writers’ Congress in Sydney this September.
The Congress will feature a keynote address from internationally best-selling author and former President of the US Authors Guild, Scott Turow.
“Virtually every player in the digital environment has figured out how to enhance their position – on a strategy of offering authors less or nothing for their work,” says Turow, whose presentation is titled ‘Under siege in the digital age’. So what might authors do next?
Meanwhile, multi-award-winning journalist and author David Marr will present a further keynote, speaking on the need for story. “Whatever the problemswith technology, money and publishing, writers can look to the future confident that we’ll always be part of the solution,” says Marr. “Even books may disappear but the world can’t do without storytellers.”
Other program highlights include:
- Acclaimed Aboriginal artist Bronwyn Bancroft, Australian children’s laureate Jackie French and multi award-winning author Libby Gleeson, among others, discussing Australian content and how it’s taught in schools and universities (or isn’t);
- Greens MP Adam Bandt, internationally published author Kate Forsyth and others on building an author-supportive book industry;
- Celebrated author of more than 40 books for children, teenagers and adults John Marsden on the readers of tomorrow;
- Award-winning author Pamela Freeman, literary agent Benython Oldfield and others on improving authors’ income;
- Respected literary critic Kerryn Goldsworthy and others on the state of the modern book review;
- Renowned writer, journalist and activist Anne Summers on the fortieth anniversary of her book Damned Whores and God’s Police;
- A digital creators’ showcase featuring interactive ebook author Annabel Smith, writer-designer-director of digital and live projects Christy Dena and others.
These speakers form part of an accomplished group of authors, illustrators, journalists, publishers, booksellers and industry professionals discussing the latest ideas on authors’ rights, role and place in a time of constant change. They will offer attendees fresh information on writing practice, publishing opportunities and income generation in the online environment.
The full program of the ASA National Writers’ Congress is now available to download from their website.
Discounts to the National Writers’ Congress apply for ACT Writers’ Centre members, with savings of $45 on the ticket price.
ACTWC Members: $350.00
Full Price: $395.00
Book now by visiting www.asauthors.org or calling (02) 9211 1004.
*Scott Turow Image by Jeremy Lawson Photography